Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2008

CIGARS: Review


I finally had the chance to fire up the Don Carlos 30th Anniversary edition cigar by Arturo Fuente the other night. It was a very good smoke, however, I did find that it was over rated. I would pay no more than 20 bucks for this stick, not the hefty 50 bucks that this stick boasts. I had the robusto size which, in comparison to this cigars cousin the Fuente Fuente Opus X, this stick burned unbelievabley fast. In comparison to the Opus X, this cigar burned at least 30 minutes shorter. Granted the little Power Ranger Opus X robusto burns longer than most, but for 50 bucks, I hope to get a similar experience. I was unimpressed with the burn in that it was inconsistent and threatened to canoe at some points. This may have been due to their slight dryness; I noticed that the wrapper was a little on the dry side. It was a complex smoke in that it started very strong and really tingled the palate and woke up the sinuses. It changed from almost over overbearingly strong and then mellowed out very nicely for the duration of the stick. I gathered strong spice, good amounts of ceder and wood, and some very pleasant sporadic notes of coffee grounds, hazelnut and almonds. Overall a pleasant smoke, but a little on the pricey side.

No comments: